Monday, July 16, 2012

Beauty and the Beast

So today I introduced the kids to Beauty and the Beast.  They've only seen a handful of "long" movies.  They mostly watch 20-30 minute shows on PBS or Netflix.  After 4.5 hours of swimming today, I thought they might just enjoy a long movie while I was making dinner.  I searched through the movies and found Beauty and the Beast on VHS.  Luckily we have a VHS/DVD combo player.  I popped it in and the previews started.  I told Peter that they would play some sample movies first because I was pretty sure he wouldn't have a clue what the previews were.

I don't think he heard me because after the first preview, his comment was, "That's it?  That was a short movie!".  I tried to explain to him that they were showing samples of other movies, and after seeing Cinderella on the screen, he kind of got it.

Finally the movie started.  Peter was completely entranced!!!  Danielle quickly pointed out the princess (Belle) on the screen and then watched it off and on while playing with other things.  Peter, on the other hand, was glued to the screen.  He loved every minute of it.  He laughed like crazy during "Be our Guest" and asked very nonchalantly, "Are they going to fall in love?" when "Beauty and the Beast" came on.  At one point he asked me what was going to happen next.  I told him that I didn't know.  He asked me if I had only watched the movie up until that part.  He knew that I had seen it because I told him that it was one of my favorite movies.  Busted - I had to tell him that yes, I did know what was going to happen next, but no, I wasn't going to tell him.

He kept talking to the screen when Gaston came to kill the Beast and was very worried when the Beast was shot at the end.  Once the Beast turned back into a man and kissed Belle, he proclaimed, "They love each other a lot!". 

I loved watching Peter enjoy one of my all-time favorite Disney movies.  Now the question is - which one to introduce to him next?

No comments:

Post a Comment