Friday, May 27, 2011

Fish!!


I took the kids to HEB this morning to get groceries.  Peter loves to look at the lobsters, so we went there right after picking out some limes, corn, carrots, celery, bell peppers, and cucumbers.  The fish counter is right by the lobster tank.  We never buy fish because I have never been brave enough to cook it, but it caught Peter's eye today.  We spent some time looking at all of the fish, and we finally decided on tilapia.  Peter watched the guy wrap it up and insisted on carrying it throughout the rest of the trip through the aisles. 

Once we were home, he wanted to eat it right away.  I convinced him that 10am wasn't the best time for fish and offered a carrot instead.  He was ok with that once I also told him that I would cook it for dinner. 

I started getting dinner ready around 5pm.  Peter pulled a stool up to the counter to help shuck the corn.  He put all of his effort into getting every little string off.  Then it was time to season the fish.  He put seasoning on both sides of the fish to make it taste good (that's what he told me).  While the fish was cooking, he set the table. 

Once dinner was finally ready, he was one excited boy!  He couldn't wait to eat the fish.  He kept saying how he had never tasted fish before (um, and I don't think he actually has) and how yummy it was going to be.  Once it was cool enough to eat, he dug in.  He was thrilled that he was able to cut it himself with his fork, and he LOVED it!  He ate 3 helpings along with his corn and some rice.  He even asked Andrew several times if he thought it tasted good.  He was so proud of himself!!

3 comments:

  1. This is not the kind of fish story I was expecting. :)

    I'm proud of the two of you for expanding your culinary skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Peter likes a new food and that you gained confidence to cook it. Pem will eat most things I cook, including my newest foray into cooking greens. Pip likes to help cook, but will not eat many foods.

    One of the easiest ways to cook tilapia is to pan fry it in butter (has to be butter, not margarine). Soak the fish in orange juice for a few minutes (5-10 mins) while you get other things ready and melt the butter in a frying pan. Then you can dredge the fish in bread crumbs (or plain cracker crumbs) mixed with salt and any type of pepper you like, and fry in the medium hot oil, a few minutes on both sides. It smells amazing, and it's actually easy. Butter + fish = success.

    ReplyDelete